DIY Wreath on the Cheap

I have a serious problem with how much wreaths cost … seriously.  Especially when they tend to get destroyed by either the natural elements, or the unnatural ones (e.g., my family). I have yet to own a wreath that doesn’t get bumped by a shoulder, a bag, or whipped around by weather. And they definitely need to be replaced on a regular basis.

Regardless, I think an average cost of $60.00 to $80.00 per wreath is waaaayyyyy too much to spend on something that you will need to replace fairly regularly.

I like to have wreaths on our doors, I think it adds a hominess to the house. I do an evergreen for the holidays, and I have an autumnal one for the Fall. But, I haven’t been able to find a new addition in a long time. That is, until recently.

Just the other day, I saw a funky new wreath design that seemed easy enough to make, so I bought the supplies, and decided to decorate our door using just a few supplies.

The costliest part of the whole process was the foam form for the wreath. When I was in middle school I took a crafting elective, and we made wreaths using fabric, foam forms and a knitting needle. This is similar, but using paper. Yes, coffee filters ARE paper, albeit more functional than fashionable.

I am pleased with the end result, and time will tell if it holds up to “Hurricane Melysa’s-Family.” I am sure I will be making another one at some point, but for now, it is hanging on my door, and I am more than happy with the outcome.

I think you will be too. So, let’s get started.

The supplies I used were:

Picture

  1. 1 – 14″ styrofoam wreath form (similar to the one pictured)
  2. Approximately one zillion paper coffee filters. I used white ones, like these, but kinda wish I had used these natural colored varieties instead. (I bought four 100pc packs, and used about 3 1/2)
  3. Hot glue gun and glue sticks
  4. Pens

I remembered back to when I made the fabric wreath in middle school, and recall the fabric sometimes coming out of the foam. So, I wanted to make sure I did not repeat that problem with paper. I used my good ol’ Duchess Crafty Hot Melt (who remembers THIS post from months ago?) And I got to work.

What I did, including my trial and error, was the following:

I first tried to take a single filter, and wrap it around a Sharpie marker like shown, and then just push it into the foam:

But that didn’t work too well. I found the marker got stuck in the foam, and either way I did it, the cap got stuck in the foam, or I popped the cap off in my hand and wound up with Sharpie on my palm. So, then I tried a chopstick like this:

That worked just as badly, as I ended up with a hole in the filter. The whole thing came out with the filter wrapped around the chopstick.

So, my next attempt (which of course by this point in my frustration, I didn’t photograph), I used a “clicky” Bic pen to punch holes in the foam. Once I had punched the hole. I did one squeeze of hot glue into the hole and then used a thinner pen to feed the coffee filter in.

THAT worked well.  But I still ran into the problem that good ol’ Duchess seems to operate at an extraordinarily high heat. It appeared to be melting not only the foam but the filter as well, so I doubled up on the filter by folding one into quarters, and laying it into the inside of an opened one, creating five layers of filter at the point of pressure.

The way I wrapped the filter was the same as the above attempts, but now I had the extra layers at the puncture point.

So, here we go:

I just kept punching holes and filling them (ever see the movie Holes?). I wasn’t looking for anything, like the warden in the movie, but I did feel like the hole punching would never end!

I didn’t bother to make it look pretty as I went along; I just made sure that I filled every gap I saw, and around all edges, so no foam is visible when it is hanging, and I filled it as full as possible. I fluffed it later when I was finished.  I think my end result was pretty darn good.

The only issue I have with it, is that it is SO fluffy, that my screen won’t close without smushing it a little bit, but I just fluff it back up when that happens.

I would not recommend this for a door that does not have at least a screen, or is not covered. (Our door is under our porch).  Remember, it IS paper, and it will be affected by the elements. But, for a total of about $14.00, it is a better option then the much more expensive options out there.

I attached a simple thin ribbon by making a large loop and wrapping it around. With all of the fluff – you can’t even see it. Use a contrasting ribbon, or just a longer one if you DO want to see the ribbon.

And here is the final product!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s